Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to spend with your loved ones. As a family caregiver, this is a great opportunity for you to help your parent maintain better mental and emotional health, stimulate their mind, and strengthen bonds in the family. This can be very important to all generations of the family now, and make memories to treasure in the future. One particularly meaningful way to do this is by crating a family recipe book. Thanksgiving is a holiday that largely focuses on food and most families have at least a few dishes that have been passed down through generations. These dishes are a link to previous generations and to the culture and traditions of the family. Creating a book of these recipes ensures these recipes carry on into the future while creating a tangible link among the generations.
Use these tips to create a family recipe book as you celebrate Thanksgiving:
- Ask other family members coming to visit to bring along a recipe they have made and remember from when they were younger. Have them cook that food for the meal and then take a picture of it to include in the recipe book.
- Have your parent write out their favorite recipes so you can include their handwriting in the book. This will be especially meaningful years down the line when your parent is no longer around.
- Consider typing out all recipes so they are easy to read even in years to come.
- Leave space after each recipe to include a story about that food. Have your parent write out memories about the dish, who used to make it, their favorite part about it, and anything else they remember about it. If they are unable to write it themselves, ask the to tell the story and write it for them.
- Make copies of the finished book to send home with other members of the family so everyone can enjoy it.
Simply because your parent is dealing with challenges and limitations that keep them from being able to travel for holiday celebrations this year does not mean you can’t enjoy these traditions. As a family caregiver, you want to make sure your loved one has all the care they need, but this doesn’t mean sacrificing the activities and experiences that are most valuable to you. Respite senior care can be extremely valuable in this situation. A respite senior home care services provider can step in on a temporary basis to provide your aging loved one with the exact care they need. This provider will follow the schedule or routine your parent has already established as much as possible to keep their care consistent. This helps to ensure they stay safe, healthy, and comfortable while you are away. Knowing your parent has this care allows you to relax and enjoy your time away while not worrying about your parent’s well-being.
If you or an aging loved one are considering home care in Liberty Lake, WA, please contact the friendly staff at Love at Home Senior Care, today. Call (509) 204-4088
His role in Love In Home Senior Care is to educate people on what care choice is the best fit for the senior and their family while attempting to make this decision as stress-free as possible for everyone involved.
This decision making process should be smooth and stress free for everyone, including all family members and their loved ones. Having access to people with experience (like the team at Love In Home Senior Care) to assist you along the way can help this process. With an extensive background in health care, Andy has the experience needed to guide and direct your loved one to the choice that is the best fit.
Latest posts by Andy Niska (see all)
- What Elderly Care Can Do to Help Seniors with Lung Cancer - June 26, 2019
- Does Medicare Cover In Home Care? - June 25, 2019
- Preparing Yourself to Care for Your Senior After Hip Surgery - June 18, 2019